The towers, symbols of San Gimignano, preserve their original appearance and relate to stories and moments in the life of the city during middle age. The Torre Grossa
is the tallest tower in the city, measuring 54 meters. It stands in Piazza del Duomo, next to the Palazzo Comunale, and is one of the few that can be visited. The works began in 1300 when the Borgo hosted Dante Alighieri and was completed eleven years later. It is still one of the best-preserved towers.
The Torre Rognosa, also known as the Torre dell'Orologio (Clock Tower), is one of the tallest towers in the village. It is among the best-preserved and it stands in Piazza del Duomo. It gets its name from the fact that, after the transfer of the Podestà, the prison was located there, which is why it was frequented by those who had rogne (meaning trouble in Italian). It was built in 1200 and it was owned first by the Gregori family and then by the Oti family.
The Devil's Tower is perhaps one of the most famous towers in the village. It is part of the Palazzo dei Cortesi and legend has it that the owner found, after returning from a long journey, the tower taller than when he left. From here the tower was considered to be a work of the Devil and took its characteristic name. The structure of the tower gives it a sinister and esoteric appearance and it is distinguished from the other structures by the use of white limestone.
The other towers are Torre Chigi, Torre dei Becci, Torre Cugnanesi, Torre degli Ardinghelli and Torre dei Salvucci. The latter are twin towers that belonged to the most important Guelph family in the city. The Salvucci were enemies of the Ardinghelli, a Ghibelline family who built twin towers too in imitation of the Salvucci's on the opposite side of the square. The towers were almost fifty-two meters high. However, the village authorities decided to have them lowered and today they are half their original height.