The most ancient public garden in Bologna is located between the train station and the bus station. It was created in 1662 on the ruins of Porta Galliera fortress, nowadays aspect dating back to early 19th century, when Napoleon ordered architect G.B. Marinetti to remodel it in French style. It comes with two entrances: in via Indipendenza - where monumental entrance stairway of late 19th century is - and in VIII Agosto square.
The Park opened in 1879 with the name of Passeggio Regina Margherita, as a tribute to Margherita, queen consort of King Umberto I of Italy. It is the most popular park and the largest in Bologna. It comes with two main entrances, from Porta Santo Stefano or from Porta Castiglione. The project was inspired by English or romantic gardens: avenues of great elegance with mostly exotic trees (cedars, pines, horse chestnuts, plane trees, cypress bald, English oaks, a sequoia) but also groves of oaks and vast meadows. At its centre is a pond created with the waters of the Savena river, and an artificial island with a chalet.
Villa Spada Gardens
The park around the eighteenth-century Villa Spada is open to public. Main entrance is located at the crossroad of Via Saragozza and Via di Casaglia, with a second one located in Via di Casaglia, granting a majestic view all over the city.
With an extension of 15 acres, it is one one of the few examples of Italian garden style in Bologna. The project was entrusted to Giovanni Battista Martinetti, architect of the Villa as well. Textile and Tapestry Museum is hosted into the Villa, its collections featuring laces and embroideries of Aemilia Ars Society.
Villa Ghigi Park
The park surrounding Villa Ghigi is one of the largest (71 acres) and pleasant green spaces in Bologna. Main entrance can be reached by bus, lines 29 and 52, Villa Ghigi stop. The Park takes name from the last owner of the villa located at its centre, Alessandro Ghigi (1875-1970), an academic from Bologna and forerunner of the protection of nature in Italy. The botanical heritage of the park is made by 3,500 tree specimens: not only spontaneous flora of the Apennines Mountains, but also ornamental species. The Park is equipped with rest areas and 15 stations for gymnastic exercises.
Did you like this? Let us know