You can not miss visiting the unique churches in the world:
It has a history that dates back to the Punic era, while in Roman times there was a place of Christian worship. In the Byzantine era it was rearranged and the Arab domination then made it a mosque. After the Normans and the Spanish, with the necessary renovations, it arrived to us as we can admire it nowadays.
- The Palatine Chapel
It goes back to the 12th century and it is famous all over the world for its splendid mosaics. The church is dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle. It was constructed as a private chapel, now it is one of the most spectacular examples of the art called of the trilingual people. The saying "breath-taking" can literally be attributed to this wonderful chapel.
- La Martorana Church
Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio Church, also called La Martorana, is located near the church of San Cataldo on Piazza Bellini. There are some peculiarities that distinguish it. First of all, it is part of the eparchy of Piana degli Albanese (little village near Palermo, where anciently Albanian people lived), where the liturgy with the Byzantine rite takes place. The Church is an important historic monument, it is included in the Unesco World Heritage, as part of the "Arab-Norman itinerary of Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale". Another curiosity concerns the name: it is said that the nuns of the homonymous monastery invented the local sweets famous all over the world: made with almond flour and sugar, the delicious fruits are called "frutta Martorana”
- San Giovanni degli Eremiti Church
This church is another symbol of the city, present on all the postcards. With its red domes, it looks more like a mosque. Red domes really do not correspond to its past, they never really were of this colour. The church was built under the rule of Roger II between 1130 and 1148, but the red domes are an experiment of the architect Patricolo in 1882
- San Cataldo Church
San Cataldo Church also impress the tourist by its Arabic architecture. It was built during the period of William I (1154-66), and it is famous for the Arabic battlement above which stand out the hemispheric volumes of the three characteristic red domes, giving to the building a particular exotic charm. Since 1937 the church has been the seat of the knights of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem, the most ancient and prestigious sacro-military order that since that time holds its custody.